This excellent salad featuring avocado and made with fresh lettuces and herbs is a complement to any meal. As noted in the cookbook from which I adapted it, the secret to a truly fine salad is crisp cold greens. Chilling it and the dressing in the salad bowl 2-3 hours before serving insures that it will be at it’s best.
Favorite Green Salad with Avocado – Serves 8-10
6 tablespoons good quality olive oil
2 tablespoons herbed white balsamic vinegar (tarragon if you can get it)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 small clove of garlic, minced (use a clove from a head of roasted garlic if you have one)
1 small head of Boston lettuce
2 small heads of butter or Bibb lettuce
2 “heads”/stalks endive – washed and sliced into 1/4 inch (rounds).
1/2 cup watercress – washed – ends discarded
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 tablespoons chopped chives
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or mint (mint because it’s growing in everyone’s garden like it or not!)
1 – 2 medium ripe, but firm avocados
1. Combine the olive oil, vinegar, salt, and garlic in the bottom of a salad bowl.
2. Wash the lettuce leaves and dry well. Tear into bite sized pieces and place over the dressing.
3. Scatter the watercress and sliced endive over the lettuce.
4. Scatter the herbs over the top of the greens. Cover tightly and chill in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours (or one or two more.)
5. Just before serving, peel and slice the avocado; add to the greens and toss gently.