***** Run don’t walk
**** You’ll enjoy yourself
*** I’m glad I went, but…
** At least you’re out of the house and someone else cooked
* Save the time and money
El Rayo – **** stars
101 York Street, Portland ME, 04102
We mentioned El Rayo as an aside to a recipe, so it makes sense to include it here.
- We’re big fans of founders/operators Cheryl Lewis and Norine Kotts!
- The karma and ambiance are excellent: colorful, lively, festive, informal, and the retro-cool factor is pretty high.
- I get “Smokey Potato Fritters” and “Mexico City Style Corn on the Cob” every time. The corn is probably best when it’s in season, but a slathering of chipotle mayo and cotija cheese will transform just about anything!
- Gus loves the place! There is a lot for him to eat at ER and “sister” La Cantina.
- I’m a native Californian who’s spent enough time in South Texas to have a preconception of Mexican food. This crew does a good job with the chow, but I like my own guacamole, enchiladas, and tamales. (Look for recipes on the blog over time.)