Close your eyes and the island could be in Greece! The best thing about this salad is that so much of it can come from your garden (or the local farmers’ market “garden”.) Splurge on good quality olive oil, well aged white balsamic vinegar, and smooth, full bodied feta cheese. It’s a wonderful canvas for grilled chicken or salmon: a perfect hot weather dinner!
ISLAND GARDEN SUMMER SALAD
1/4 cup good quality white balsamic vinegar
juice and freshly grated zest of half a lemon
1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
4 scallions thinly sliced on the diagonal, discard the tougher dark green ends
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh mint
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh basil
1/8 cup finely chopped fresh oregano
1/3 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper (or more to taste)
1. Combine all the ingredients and mix well with a fork. Set aside in the refrigerator.
1 large head of red leaf lettuce or 2 medium sized heads of romaine, washed, dried, and cut or torn into bite sized pieces.
1 cup halved cherry tomatoes or a large tomato diced
2/3 cup julienned cucumber (use a julienne peeler for fun and ease)
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1. Evenly distribute the lettuce over a shallow (salad) bowl.
2. Layer on the cucumber, and tomatoes.
3. Spoon the dressing evenly over the vegetables and layer on the feta cheese and almonds.
4. Serve immediately or cover and chill for up to an hour (possibly more if using romaine lettuce.)
Enjoy this special salad and imagine you’re on Mykonos or another favorite seaside setting.