If you made our GF Angel Food Cake there are extra yolks and options. Lemon Curd is delicious on scones; Chocolate Espresso Pudding made with coconut milk is another. This gluten-free, dairy-free dessert is simple, satisfying, and certain to please all your guests. Use it as an opportunity to introduce them to Cacao Nibs!
Chocolate Coconut Espresso Pudding
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 cups (16 oz.) coconut milk
3 tablespoons corn or rice starch
1 teaspoon espresso powder mixed with 1 teaspoons water
Heavy Cream or Whole Coconut Milk for whipped topping
Shaved coconut and or Cacao Nibs for garnish
1. In a medium heat-proof bowl beat the yolks until thick and lemon colored.
2. Slowly add the sugar, continuing to beat.
3. In a heavy medium sauce pan combine the starch and salt. Slowly incorporate 1/4 cup of the milk. Whisk to blend,forming a slurry.
4. Whisk in the remaining milk, add the chocolate and cook over a medium heat, whisking continuously, until the mixture begins to simmer and the chocolate is melted. Remove from the heat and whisk 1/2 cup of the hot chocolate milk into the egg mixture.
5. Return this to the pot of chocolate milk and cook, stirring constantly, for 1-2 more minutes. Remove from the head and add the espresso syrup. Stir to blend and pour into 4 small bowls or one larger bowl. Cover with waxed paper or plastic wrap to prevent a skin forming. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours for individual servings – 4 for a single bowl – and up to 2 days for either.
Serve with a dollop of whipped cream, whipped coconut cream and toasted shaved coconut or cacao nibs.