Ginger Pumpkin Scones – makes 8 small scones
1 cup (6oz.) GF flour mix (yours, ours, or Trader Joe’s)
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon xantham gum
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
1/3 cup roasted pumpkin puree
1 egg yolk
1/8 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon molasses
1/2 cup chopped candied ginger, plus a few pieces sliced thinly to place on top before baking.
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Measure the pumpkin puree into a 1 cup glass measure. Add the egg yolk and molasses. Add enough heavy cream to the 4 oz. line. Whisk to blend.
3. In a medium bowl combine the dry ingredients. Whisk to blend.
4. Using a grater with large holes, grate the butter into the dry ingredients and toss to coat. Add the chopped ginger and toss to coat.
5. Pour the pumpkin cream mixture into the dry ingredients and stir with a spoon to combine. The dough will be stiff.
6. Turn onto a GF floured surface and knead 3-4 times to incorporate the butter and create layers. Pat into a circle and place slices of ginger on top. Cut into 8 wedges. Place the scones on the prepared baking sheet and cook for 12-14 minutes.
7. Serve immediately with butter and lemon or orange marmalade. Store well wrapped in the ‘frige for a day or two, or frozen for a couple of weeks. These are best sliced and toasted when reheating.