We’re sharing one of our most popular recipes for the first time. Heidi gave us a pumpkin from her garden which we caramelized by roasting it at 350 F for an extra hour: hands down the sweetest, most flavorful this season. There is something special about waiting for seasonal produce to make traditional sweets. Heidi’s pumpkin made this one of the best batches of Pumpkin Whoopie Pies ever!
Gluten-free Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
8 oz. gluten-free flour mix (yours, ours, or Trader Joe’s)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon each ground ginger and nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon xantham gum
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 oz. vegetable oil
3 oz. buttermilk
1/2 cup (4 oz.) light brown sugar
1 large organic egg, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
Molasses Cream Filling
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
generous pinch of salt
3 tablespoons Blackstrap Molasses
1/3 cup marshmallow fluff
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Combine the flour, spices, baking powder, baking soda, xantham gum, and salt in a large mixing bowl or stand mixer; stir to blend evenly.
3. In a 2 cup glass measure, measure the oil and buttermilk. Add the sugar, egg, and pumpkin. Whisk to blend.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir to combine well.
5. Drop tablespoons of batter onto the prepared baking sheets, spaces 2 inches apart. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until slightly firm to the touch. Cool completely before filling with the molasses cream.
6. To make the filling, beat the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer until light and fluffy. Add the confectioners’ sugar, salt, and molasses, and continue to beat until well blended. Add the fluff and continue to beat at medium high speed for 3-4 minutes until it’s light and fluffy, scraping down as needed.
7. Use a pastry tube or baggie with a corner snipped off to pipe the filling onto the bottoms half the “pies” cover with the other halves and serve immediately or wrap individually with plastic wrap and store refrigerated for up to three days. These can also be stored frozen.