A chef interviewed on NPR said she always brings pie to pot-luck gatherings because whether it has to serve 6 or 16, everyone is happy with their slice. While that may be true, folks who like their pumpkin pie are going to want seconds after they taste this custard filling and its satisfying GF crust.
Pumpkin Custard Pie
Click Here For Printable Recipe
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup light brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
11/2 cup pureed cooked pumpkin
1/2 Best GF Pie Crust recipe plus 1 small egg whisked to be an egg wash
1. Prepare the gluten-free pie crust recipe and chill 1/2 portion of the dough whilst you make the custard.
2. Preheat the oven to 400 F. Line a 9 inch pie plate with the dough and decoratively crimp the edges. Chill in the refrigerator for 15 – 20 minutes before baking.
3. Brush the dough with egg wash and pre-bake the crust for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool. Decrease the heat to 350 F.
3. In a mixing bowl beat the egg yolks and brown sugar until smooth.
4. Add the cream, and spices. Beat to blend. Fold in the pumpkin puree.
5. Pour the custard into the pre-baked crust and bake at 350 F for 40-50 minutes or until the custard is set. Cool completely before serving. If refrigerating, chill uncovered for 2-3 hours before covering with plastic wrap. This will prevent condensation from spotting the surface of the pie.
Serve with lightly sweetened whipped cream flavored with cinnamon, vanilla, or brandy.
Yum! That sounds delicious!
this looks great. thank you for sharing!
This looks amazing! Thank you for sharing! I’m newly GF and am finding navigating the holidays to be a little difficult.
Oh, lovely recipe. Out of curiosity, what chef was it? I love NPR! Warmly, Shanna
Arghhh! Can’t remember: NPR in the car….
HA. I know – isn’t that the worst? I shall consult my friend Google. Be well, Shanna
Who could resist this? Even the name is irresistible!
Made your divine pumpkin custard pie yesterday but use quinoa flour & Gf OAT flour for the crust! it was divine!!! X 😃
Please share the ratios you used for the crust since others may want to follow your lead. Thanks!