Just in time for the December holidays! We give all the credit to Scratch, a wonderful neighborhood bakery that’s so good it’s become an institution. I haven’t seen their conventional version of these brownies in a while, but maybe they’ll reappear in the next month. In the meantime, these are so good no one would guess they’re GF.
Want to go the extra mile? Make your own Peppermint Patties!
Note: we recommend Trader Joe’s mix because it’s ratio of flours is similar to our basic recipe, it behaves the way ours does, it doesn’t contain sugar, leavening, or xantham gum, and it’s less expensive than most other prepackaged mixes. Taking the time to make your own allows you to use organic flours.
Peppermint Patty Brownies
Click Here For Printable Recipe
3/4 cup GF flour mix (yours, ours, or Trader Joe’s)
1/2 teaspoon xantham gum
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup (6 oz.) granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
16 – 25 small peppermint patties (Hersey’s York are GF)
1. Preheat the oven to 325 F and prepare an 8 x 8 x 2 pan by lining it with parchment paper.
2. In a medium sized sauce pan melt the butter until just bubbling. Remove from the heat, add the chocolate, cover and let rest for 3-5 minutes or until the chocolate is melted.
3. Combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, whisk to blend.
4. Add the eggs one at a time to the chocolate mixture, stirring well to combine after each addition.
5. Fold in the dry ingredients.
6. Spread half the batter into the prepared pan. Layer peppermint patties over the batter. Gently spoon the rest of the batter over the patties and smooth with a knife to cover evenly.
7. Bake at 325 F for 25 – 30 minutes or until dry on top and almost firm. Cool completely before cutting to insure a discreet peppermint layer.
They just look sooooo good!
Great recipe – thanks for sharing! Look forward to giving this a go 🙂
Eve & Faye x
Sugar Spun Sisters – A blog about cosmetics, clothes & coeliac disease
Gluten-free Peppermint Patty Brownies really yummy!!!!
Lovely! These are definitely a fave come holiday time!