A small portion of chilled pumpkin pudding at the end of a fall or late winter meal is pure comfort food. Flavoring the whipped cream garnish with rum or brandy makes it adult enough for a dinner party. Pumpkin Pudding is just as good for a family affair with vanilla whipped cream. There is debate about gluten-free vanilla extracts. Flavorganics produces one, or make your own to insure safety.
Pumpkin Pudding with Whipped Cream – Serves 8
2 large eggs
2 cups pureed pumpkin
1 1/2 cups light cream
1/3 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans, lightly toasted
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract or rum
1. In a medium sized heavy sauce pan, whisk the eggs until well blended.
2. Add the pumpkin, light cream, honey, salt, and spices. Cook over a medium heat, stirring consistently, until thick and smooth. Remove from heat and cool until warm.
3. Pour into individual ramekins or short stemmed glasses and chill for 2-3 hours.
4. Before serving whip the heavy cream with the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla or rum until it holds a nice peak.
5. Serve each pudding with a dollop of cream and sprinkling of toasted pecans.