Summer in Maine is a bountiful culinary celebration of color, flavor, and texture. A group is coming over for a little taste testing, so we’ve harvested things from the garden and shopped for the provisions we don’t grow. Minted cucumber water is steeping in the ‘frige and tart is cooling on the window sill. We’ll share the other recipes in the coming days. In the meantime, invite some friends for lunch!
Seaside Summer Luncheon
Tomato Soup with Mint Pesto
Freshly Picked Greens with Peas & Pea Shoots
Savory Corn Pancakes with Fresh Peach Salsa
Apricot Tart with Mascarpone Whipped Cream
Savory Corn Pancakes – serves 4-6 as a side dish
1/2 cup GF flour mix (yours, ours, or Trader Joe’s)
3 tablespoons corn meal
1 teaspoon honey
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
fresh ground pepper to taste
2 eggs, separated and room temperature
2 tablespoons melted butter or olive oil
1/2 cup buttermilk (or milk substitute plus 1 teaspoon vinegar or lemon juice)
1/2 cup organic corn kernels
1/4 cup grated sharp feta or cheddar cheese
Olive oil for cooking the pancakes
1. Combine the dry ingredients in a small mixing bowl; whisk to blend.
2. Whisk the egg yolks until thick, slowly add the melted butter. Then add the honey and buttermilk, corn, and cheese.
3. Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Stir until just blended.
4. In a larger mixing bowl whip the egg whites until stiff, but not dry.
5. Gently fold the batter into the egg whites.
6. Preheat a large skillet on the stove. Add a little olive oil to cover. Spoon the batter in silver dollar sized portions into the pan and cook until golden brown on both sides.
Serve with Fresh Peach Salsa or Tomato Jam