Salad Nicoise makes a perfect lunch or dinner during the hot days of summer. Traditionally done with tuna, it can also be made with grilled chicken, salmon, or as a vegetarian dish featuring the “caviar” of legumes: du Puis Lentils. These individually plated salads are constructions of a variety of flavors, colors, and textures: a satisfying summer repast.
Summer Salad Nicoise – Serves 4
Click Here for Printable Recipe
12 oz. tuna (one large can, or 2 small steaks, seared on the grill) If using canned, pay attention to sustainability and packaging.
1 cup cooked lentils (we like small organic french duPuy lentils)
3-4 hard boiled eggs cut into wedges so each serving gets 3-5 (Everything in moderation – divi up 2 eggs if cholesterol is an issue.)
20-28 cherry or grape tomatos, halved
4 cups loosely packed mixed baby greens
20 green beans, steamed and cooled
1 medium yellow or red potato (7-8 oz.), cooked, cooled, and quartered
1 avocado, peeled and sliced thinly
1/4 cup tiny capers, plus a little juice
1/2 cup green or black olives
1/4 teaspoon Hondashi
1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
2 teaspoon good quality white balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon caper juice
freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, dill or cilantro
1/2 cup of your favorite savory vinaigrette – it shouldn’t be overly sweet
1. Combine the caper juice, balsamic vinegar, lemon zest, Hondashi, and ground pepper in a bowl; whisk to blend. Add the tuna, and gently toss to coat.
2. Evenly divide the lettuces amongst 4 (pasta) plates, leaving a bit of a well in the center.
3. Fill each (well) with a quarter portion of cooked lentils.
4. In a (pin-wheel), evenly place the beans, avocado, and wedges of potato and egg around the lentils.
5. Place a quarter portion of tuna over the lentils in the center of each plate. Evenly scatter the tomatoes, capers, and olives. Sprinkle with fresh herbs and drizzle 1 tablespoon of dressing over the top of each salad. Offer the rest of the dressing from a small pitcher at the table.
We recommend enjoying this with Dilly Cheddar Biscuits
This is one of my favorite salads…delicious!
Love this salad!
This is my favorite salad on the face of the planet. I am obsessed with it.