Anyone who follows this blog knows we are fans of scones. This recipe is in response to a recent post by Gluten Free For Lunch Boxes reminding that scones made with nut flours may be prohibited on school grounds since exposure to nut proteins is a risk for those with tree nut and peanut allergies. The little bit of Turmeric called for probably won’t off-set the questionable merits of (lemon curd) but it’s educational and inspirational to know more about how turmeric’s purported health benefits, can impact the way we feel.
Sunny Summer Sunflour Scones
1 cup (6 oz.) GF flour mix (yours, ours, or Trader Joe’s), plus 1-2 tablespoons extra for kneading the dough
1/4 cup (2 oz.) granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/8 cup (.75 oz.) sunflower seed “flour” (you’ll have to make your own in a coffee mill)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon xantham gum
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
3/4 – 1 cup organic golden raisins
1 small egg
scant 1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons raw sunflower seeds (they’ll toast during baking)
1. Preheat the oven to 425F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper
2. Measure the dry ingredients into a medium sized mixing bowl. Whisk to blend.
3. Grate the butter into the flour mixture and incorporate with a fork or with one’s fingers.
4. Stir in the golden raisins so they’re coated with flour
5. Crack the egg into a 1 cup glass measure and add enough heavy cream to make 1/2 cup (4 oz.). Stir with a whisk or fork to blend.
6. Add the cream to the flour mixture – stir to form a still dough. Add 1-2 teaspoons more cream if the dough is too stiff and doesn’t come together.
7. Turn the dough onto a GF floured surface and knead 3-4 times. Divide into three equal portions and pat into 3/4 inch rounds.
8. Pat each round with any cream remaining in the cup measure, gently press the raw sunflower seeds into the dough, cut into eight equal wedges, and space evenly on the baking sheet.
9. Bake the scones for 12 minutes or until lightly browned on top. Serve with peach jam, lemon curd, or orange marmalade.
Nice recipe 🙂
I made these beautiful scones & loved every bite! I served them with chia strawberry jam!