Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
Sultry lacto-ovo-wheat-free treats that are just as delicious on Day Two.
When I learned 14 years ago that a gluten free diet meant cutting out wheat, rye, and barley my first thought was: no big deal; I could probably bake a pretty good cookie using only oat flour. But Certified GF Oats were not marketed in the U.S. until the last few years. (Note: Trader Joe’s carries reasonably priced GF oats.) Recent experiments with a GF Vegan cookie recipe have reminded me why I thought oats might be a pretty good substitute. The following produces a cookie anyone would find satisfying providing they don’t have an allergy to sunflower seeds.
GFV CC Cookies
(about a dozen 2 ounce cookies.)
5 oz. (1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons) sunflower seed butter
4 oz. (1/2 cup firmly packed) dark brown sugar
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
4 oz. (1 cup) GF Oats
2 oz. (1/3 – 1/2 cup ground) GF Oat Flour
1 oz. (¼ cup) flaxseed meal (As with oat flour, you can grind your own in a coffee mill.)
½ t. baking soda
Pinch of salt (optional, especially if the seed butter is salted.)
2 Tablespoons warm water (or strong coffee)
4 oz. (1/2 cup) good quality vegan dark or bittersweet chocolate chips
Preheated Oven: 375 F Bake. Cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Combine the sunflower seed butter, brown sugar, and oil and mix until smooth using a hand or stand mixer.
- Whisk together the oats, oat flour, flax seed meal, baking soda, (salt), and mix into the “butter” and sugar mixture.
- Add the water (or coffee) and mix until well blended.
- Add the chocolate chips and let rest for 15-20 minutes (can refrigerate covered up to 24 hours at this point.)
- Form dough into twelve 2 ounce balls, place evenly spaced on the cookie sheet, and slightly flatten.
- Bake at 375 F for 12 minutes. Cool before removing to a plate or container.
Note: for a holiday cookie substitute 2 ounces of white chocolate chips plus 2 ounces of dried cranberries or cherries for the dark chocolate chips. You can also add ½ – 1 teaspoon grated orange rind.