One of the most powerful food combinations is oatmeal and orange juice. Combined their health benefits are more effective than eaten independently. Since reading the Men’s Health article about healthy food pairings I’ve been thinking about a recipe for gluten free muffins that combines OJ and oats. This one is an unqualified success!
Cardamom Orange Oatmeal Muffins
Click Here For Printable Recipe
1 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup organic rolled oats
3/4 cup (4.75 oz.) GF flour mix (yours, ours, or Trader Joe’s)
1/4 cup quinoa flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon xantham gum
1 teaspoon fresh orange zest
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom (plus 1 teaspoon to make a cardamom-sugar topping)
1/4 cup granulated sugar (plus 2 teaspoons to make a cardamom-sugar topping)
2 tablespoons vegetable or nut oil
1 large egg
1. Soak the oats in the orange juice in a 2 cup measure, covered, for 4 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
2. Preheat the oven to 375 F; lightly grease a muffin pan or muffin papers.
3. Combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk to blend.
4. Grate the orange zest onto the dry ingredients and stir to coat.
5. Lightly whisk the egg and oil into the oat mixture. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir to blend evenly.
6. Blend 2 teaspoons granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon ground cardamom in a small bowl.
7. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Top with cardamom-sugar. Bake for 15 minutes for muffin “tops”, 15 – 20 minutes for 12regular sized muffins, or 20 – 25 for 6 large muffins
Enjoy hot out of the oven with your favorite marmalade! Ours is Stonewall Kitchen’s Blood Orange Marmalade. As with other GF baked goods, store well wrapped in the refrigerator, and reheat in the oven or on a griddle.
Wow, thank you!
Those look so yummy!!
WOW! These look really different! Something that I have never tried before. Can you bring me some please? Yum!
Okay I think I am missing something, There is no egg listed in the ingredients but…. it is in the recipe. Confused! LOL!
You’re right! Use one large egg. Just updated the post and printable recipe. Thank you for catching that and taking the time to write. Hope you like the Muffins.
Cardamom and orange has become one of my new favorite flavor combinations! I made a cardamom orange coffee cake and it was excellent! I will be sure to try out this recipe too.
Cardamom and orange has become one of my new favorite combinations! I made a cardamom orange coffee cake and it was excellent! I will be sure to try this recipe out as well!
I made your beauties & loved them so much too! 🙂 Amazing!!! xxx
Cardamom is such a beautiful flavor and not one typically used in American cooking.
That’s really interesting about oats and oranges nutritional content being even better when combined. I’ve only recently started using cardamon and I find it such an interesting flavor. Thanks for the tasty recipe!
These sound great! Can’t wait to try them out.