One of the most powerful food combinations is oatmeal and orange juice. Combined their health benefits are more effective than eaten independently. Since reading the Men’s Health article about healthy food pairings I’ve been thinking about a recipe for gluten free muffins that combines OJ and oats. This one is an unqualified success!
Cardamom Orange Oatmeal Muffins
1 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup organic rolled oats
3/4 cup (4.75 oz.) GF flour mix (yours, ours, or Trader Joe’s)
1/4 cup quinoa flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon xantham gum
1 teaspoon fresh orange zest
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom (plus 1 teaspoon to make a cardamom-sugar topping)
1/4 cup granulated sugar (plus 2 teaspoons to make a cardamom-sugar topping)
2 tablespoons vegetable or nut oil
1 large egg
1. Soak the oats in the orange juice in a 2 cup measure, covered, for 4 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
2. Preheat the oven to 375 F; lightly grease a muffin pan or muffin papers.
3. Combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk to blend.
4. Grate the orange zest onto the dry ingredients and stir to coat.
5. Lightly whisk the egg and oil into the oat mixture. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir to blend evenly.
6. Blend 2 teaspoons granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon ground cardamom in a small bowl.
7. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Top with cardamom-sugar. Bake for 15 minutes for muffin “tops”, 15 – 20 minutes for 12regular sized muffins, or 20 – 25 for 6 large muffins
Enjoy hot out of the oven with your favorite marmalade! Ours is Stonewall Kitchen’s Blood Orange Marmalade. As with other GF baked goods, store well wrapped in the refrigerator, and reheat in the oven or on a griddle.