Folks are divided about whether or not to glaze these tender flavorful doughnuts, but Maple Frosting is “icing on the (cake)” worth every bite. Baked, not fried, and low in fat, these are moist, healthy, and satisfying.
Gluten-free Pumpkin Doughnuts with Maple Icing – makes 12 doughnuts or 8 mini loaves
1 1/8 cup (6.75 oz.) GF flour mix (yours, ours, or Trader Joe’s)
1 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 fresh grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, room temperature
1/2 cup (4 oz.) light brown sugar
1/2 cup, minus 1 tablespoon, non-fat yogurt, room temperature
1/2 cup pureed pumpkin
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 cup (4oz.) cup confectioner’s sugar
pinch sea salt
1/2 teaspoon Maple extract (optional, but it’s going to boost the maple flavor)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare a doughnut pan by wiping or spraying it with oil.
2. Combine the dry ingredients, minus the sugar, in a large mixing bowl. Whisk to blend; set aside
3. In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk the egg and sugar until creamy. Add the yogurt and oil; whisk again to blend.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry. Fold together until the consistency is even. Add the pumpkin puree and continue to fold until evenly incorporated. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan(s) taking care not to overfill the cavities to prevent the cake from baking outside the perimeter of the doughnut shape.
5. Bake at 350 F for 15 minutes for doughnuts and 20 minutes for mini-loaves. Remove from the oven and cool. They can be iced when they’re warm, but too warm and the icing will melt.
6. While the doughnuts are baking, heat the maple syrup, salt, and butter in a small heavy sauce pan. Boil for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool until warm to the touch.
7. Add the confectioners’ sugar and maple extract; whisk until smooth. Fill a small baggie with icing. Snip off a 1/8″ bottom corner and pipe the icing onto the doughnuts. These are best stored without icing, refrigerated in an air-tight container. IF there are any left!
Enjoy these special fall treats!