If, IF, you have any Burnt Honey Caramel Sauce left from last week, try these scones. The slight smokiness of the burnt honey plus the brightness of the orange zest make them the perfect vehicle for a little butter and as much Blood Orange Marmalade as you like. Because we’re using (liquid) sweetener, the body of the scone is a little denser than one might be accustomed to, but slicing and toasting will make a difference.
BURNT ORANGE HONEY SCONES
1 cup (6oz.) GF flour mix (yours, our, or Trader Joe’s)
1 tablespoon almond flour (remember you can grind your own in coffee mill)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon xantham gum
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons grated cold, or better, frozen butter
1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
1/2 cup Burnt Honey Caramel Sauce
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon of honey
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Measure the dry ingredients into a medium sized mixing bowl and whisk to blend.
3. Add the grated butter, and stir to coat evenly, followed by the orange zest, again stirring to coat evenly.
4. Whisk together the egg yolk and burnt honey sauce and add all at once to the flour mixture. Stir to form a dough.
5. Turn the dough out onto a GF floured surface and knead 3-4 times to create layers. Pat into a 3/4 inch disk, smooth the teaspoon of honey over the top and cut into 8 wedges.
6. Transfer the wedges to the baking sheet and cook in the center of the preheated oven for 12-13 minutes.
7. Serve warm with marmalade or reheat by slicing and toasting. Again, marmalade!