You know the revolution has been successful when an almost 81 year old grandmother who doesn’t want anything for her birthday (except maybe a massage, tickets to Paris, and certainly cake and singing) is getting a Paderno Vegetable Pasta Gizmo. She’ll love it. Better, she’ll use it with pleasure. Perhaps not as much pleasure as we do, but still, I’m certain Gamma (and Kappa!) will appreciate the addition to their kitchen.
Perfect for those following a GF diet, this “pasta” maker works beautifully to pare zucchini, carrots, sweet potatoes into delicious, healthy, user friendly, pasta shapes. Get a Paderno today and prepare to be amazed! Once your pasta preparation has been revolutionized it’ll be difficult, if not impossible to return to the old days.
Carrot and Zucchini Pasta with Fresh Tomato Sauce – Serves 4
2 whole green medium sized zucchini, washed, ends trimmed
3-4 large carrots, washed, (peeled), ends trimmed
1/4 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
1 cup diced onion
1/2 cub diced celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano, and rosemary
1/4 cup fresh parsley or carrot tops, minced
2-3 pounds Heirloom tomatoes, diced (peel and seed if you prefer)
1-2 cups good quality chicken or vegetable broth
juice of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon honey (or a little more to taste)
1/2 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
fresh ground pepper
Fresh grated parmesan cheese and 1 cup Mint Pesto
1. Process the carrots and zucchini into spaghetti or linguine shaped “pasta” using a Paderno or similar machine. Set aside.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large skilled over a medium heat. Add the onions, celery, and spices and sautee until the onions begin to soften.
3. Add the parsley and garlic and continue cooking until the vegetables begin to turn golden.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for 5-10 minutes before adding 1 cup chicken broth. Simmer for 20 – 30 minutes to reduce, adding more broth as needed.
5. Add the salt, lemon juice, teaspoon of honey. Stir to blend. Correct the seasoning with salt and pepper if needed.
6. Bring 2 inches of water to boil in another large pan. Quick-cook the zucchini and carrot “pasta” to al dente (1-3 minutes). Drain and divide onto pasta plates. Top with portions of the sauce, grated cheese, and pesto.
Savor the product of your revolutionary ideas about pasta! And, thanks in advance for joining forces!
P.S. Explicit permission to have seconds… and thirds!